The CELPIP Tests Canada's leading general English tests for immigration

The CELPIP Tests Canada's leading general English tests for immigration

To apply for almost any category of economic immigration to Canada, you must submit the results

of a language exam. Depending on the particular program you are applying for, you may need to

take a particular exam version and get a certain score. The International English Language Testing

System (IELTS) and the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) are the

two currently recognized test providers in English. The Pearson English Test (PTE) will start to be

approved for immigration by the end of 2023. In order to satisfy the IRCC's language competency

standards for Canadian immigration applicants, Pearson created the PTE, a new English test. !

The Test d'évaluation de français (TEF) is required if you want to take your language test in


There is no preferred test for IRCC. You can select the test that is more convenient for you to take

because the outcomes of all three tests are equally respected. Any language test you take must

have results from within the last two years (24 months) in order for it to be considered valid.!

A score is given for each of the four language skills—listening, reading, writing, and speaking—in

the IELTS, CELPIP, PTE, and TEF tests.!

IELTS is a test of English language competency that is offered globally. IELTS is divided into two

categories: Academic and General Training. You should take the IELTS - General Training to

immigrate to Canada. In addition to an overall band score that averages your performance

across all language abilities, IELTS results give you a score for each language ability. Your total

band score has no bearing on your ability to enter Canada.!

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) created CELPIP. The CELPIP was created

for Canadian English, which incorporates components of British and American English as well as

Canadian accents, as opposed to the IELTS, which was created for international English

proficiency. The General Test and the General LS Test are the two different CELPIP test kinds.

You must take the CELPIP-General Test for immigration. With test sites now located in the United

Arab Emirates (UAE), the Republic of Korea, Singapore, the Philippines, India, China, and the

United States, the CELPIP is now available outside of Canada. Originally, it could only be taken

from within Canada.!

.The Pearson English Test, sometimes known as the PTE, is a new English exam that Pearson

created to satisfy the IRCC's requirements for language competency for Canadian immigration

applicants. The PTE will assess your proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and listening in

addition to other language skills. By "late 2023," the IRCC will start accepting test results from the


You must take the TEF unless you are a natural French speaker or would like to submit results of a

language test proving your competency in the language. The TEF and the TEFAQ are the two

forms of TEF that are available. Normally, we advise taking the TEF. While the TEF is approved by

both federal and Quebec immigration, the TEFAQ is only accepted for Quebec immigration.!

Many programs use point systems in addition to basic criteria. Along with language competency,

other factors such as age, work history, and education may also be given points. The language

test score you need to pass could range from the minimal requirement depending on your profile.!

Your scores will be translated into Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) or Niveaux de

competency linguistique canadiens (NCLC) levels regardless of the test you take. The range of

CLB ratings is 4 (poor) to 10 (outstanding). Programs for immigration to Canada that mention a

language requirement often relate to a CLB level.